Peter J. Mastan
Phone: (213) 452-4900
Los Angeles attorney Peter J. Mastan represents bankruptcy trustees, receivers, businesses, creditors, government entities, purchasers and sellers of assets, and litigants throughout California in matters involving bankruptcy law, receiverships, commercial and business litigation, and public corruption litigation. Mr. Mastan's practice places particular focus on bankruptcy avoidance power litigation, including fraudulent transfer actions, preference actions, and Ponzi scheme litigation. Mr. Mastan was active in the management and litigation of more than 150 adversary proceedings filed in the In re Reed Slatkin bankruptcy case, a Ponzi scheme case in which the trustee recovered more than $100 million in assets, and the litigation of more than 100 adversary proceedings filed in the In re Midland Euro bankruptcy case, which also arose out of a Ponzi scheme. He currently serves as a panel Chapter 7 trustee appointed by the Office of the United States Trustee for the Central District of California and has also served as both a Chapter 11 trustee and a bankruptcy court-appointed examiner.
Mr. Mastan is active in the leadership of the California bankruptcy community. In 2017, Mr. Mastan was elected President of the California Bankruptcy Forum. Mr. Mastan previously served as Vice-President (2016), Conference Co-Chair (2013), Education Co-Chair (2011), and Young Insolvency Professional Co-Chair (2010) for the California Insolvency Conference.
In recognition of his work providing exception legal representation in the area of bankruptcy and debtor/creditor rights, in 2012-2018, Mr. Mastan was recognized by Super Lawyers magazine, an honor bestowed on no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state.
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1997
- St. Thomas More Honor Society
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Secured Transactions in Personal Property and Federal Income Taxation
- B.A., University of California at Los Angeles, 1993
- California, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- Washington D.C., 2009
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
- California Bankruptcy Forum
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- County of San Bernardino v. Walsh, 158 Cal. App. 4th 533 (2008).
- In re Slatkin (Johnson v. Neilson, Trustee), 2008 WL 1946739 (9th Cir. 2008).
- Co-Chairman of the 2018 annual trustee education seminar at the request of the Office of the United States Trustee for the Central District of California
- “Litigation Fundamentals | Adversary Proceedings,” panelist at the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) conference in Denver, CO (2018)
- “Bankruptcy Fundamentals for Practitioners and Staff | Chapter 7,” panelist at the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) conference in Denver, CO (2018)
- Recognized for inclusion in Super Lawyers magazine for bankruptcy and debtor/creditor rights 2012-2018
- Elected President of the California Bankruptcy Forum (2017)
- Speaker of the Office of the United States Trustee, Riverside Division, on "Ponzi Schemes, Common Legal Issues" (2017)
- Chairman of the California Bankruptcy Forum's pro bono steering committee (2016-2017)
- Elected Vice-President of the California Bankruptcy Forum (2016)
- Elected Secretary of the California Bankruptcy Forum (2015)
- Elected Treasurer of the California Bankruptcy Forum (2014)
- Speaker at the 2012 Central District of California annual panel trustee seminar on "Chapter 7 Trustees and the Evolving World of Bank/Technology Fees"
- Speaker at the 2012 California Bankruptcy Forum on "Jurisdiction and Standing: Practical Implications and Lower Courts' Interpretations of Stern v. Marshall"
- Speaker at the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees' Spring 2011 seminar: "The Barton Doctrine: A Trustee's Protections and Remedies for Dealing with the Vexatious Litigant."
- Co-Education Chair for the 2011 California Bankruptcy Forum
- Named Southern California Rising Star, 2009 and 2010
- Co-Education Chair of the Young Insolvency Professional program for the California Bankruptcy Forum (2010)
- California Bankruptcy Forum producer of "Current Issues in Single Asset Real Estate Cases." (2009)